Hole in your roof? Don’t let it become a bigger problemRoof Rescue Ltd.
Having a hole in your roof can be worrying. Just bear in mind that in most cases your roof can be repaired. The most important thing is to identify the cause of the problem and get it fixed before it gets worse. Don’t hesitate to seek professional help – it will almost always save you time and money in the long run.
Why do you have a hole in your roof?
These are some of the most common causes of a hole in your roof:
- Tree damage: Strong winds can tear off a branch or even the entire tree and send it crashing into your roof. It’s a good idea to check your roof each time there have been strong winds in your area.
- Rain penetration: Roof tiles and slates are designed to keep the rain out. However, during stormy weather, the winds can drive the rain under your tiles. This can rot the underlay over time.
- Slipped tiles or slates: A slipped tile or slate will increase the volume of rainwater impacting the underlay. Pools of water can build up and the pressure may cause the underlay to break.
- Rust or rot: With prolonged exposure to the weather, metal roofs can start to develop holes due to rust. Wooden roofing materials may begin to rot.
Dangers if you have a hole in your roof
Having a hole in your roof, even a tiny one, can pose serious dangers if you don’t get it fixed urgently:
- Roof material damage: Even a few drops of water penetration can damage the roofing materials, causing your hole to get bigger, incurring more expensive repair costs.
- Attic and ceiling damage: The first areas of your home to get damaged will be your attic or ceiling. The hole will let in water that will damage your paint and plaster. If you have ceiling-mounted lights and fans they can get damaged too.
- Health issues from mould: Water leaks will lead to mould, which can lead to respiratory health issues including nasal congestion, rhinitis and asthma. Long-term inhalation of mould spores can lead to serious health consequences.
Warning signs that you have a hole in your roof
Watch out for these common signs that you may have a hole in your roof:
- Water damage: It’s a common mistake assume any water damage is due to damp. If you have damp on your ceilings or walls or if you have peeling paint, it could be a sign that you have water coming in through a hole in your roof. Check your roof before any further damage occurs.
- Moss growing on your roof: Keep an eye out for signs of moss on your roof. Growing moss can force your tiles apart, creating a gap that can let in water. Regularly inspect your roof and make sure any moss is dealt with promptly.
- Loose roof tiles: Every year, get your tiles checked to ensure none of them have come loose. A loose or missing tile will create a hole in our roof that can let in water or even weaken your roof to the point where it could collapse.
If you think you may have a hole in your roof, get in contact with a roofing professional at the earliest opportunity. The longer you leave it, the worse the problem can get, and the more expensive it will be to fix.
Concerned about a hole in your roof? Get in touch with our friendly team at Roof Rescue. We’re experts in anything to do with roofs, flashing included! Call us on 020 3189 1618 and we get your roof fixed.