How to remove moss from a roofRoof Rescue Ltd.
Now that the new year has begun, many of you will be planning home improvements to give your property a fresh, revitalised look. One of the best ways to do this can be through cleaning your roof and removing any moss and algae that may have become prominent. There are numerous techniques that you can use to clear your moss-covered roof, some that you can do yourself and some that are best carried out by roof experts. Below we will provide some further detail on the techniques you can use to combat moss growth and transform your roof this new year.
What you will need to remove moss from your roof
If you want to carry out moss removal by yourself, you will want to ensure you are properly equipped for the job before getting started, so it is important that you possess the following equipment:
- A long-handled brush
- Rubber gloves
- Moss remover/cleaning solution – you will want to add one quarter bleach to one gallon of water
- Garden hose/pressure washer
- Old work clothes and suitable footwear
The moss removal process
Once you have dressed in suitable clothing and footwear, you are ready to begin the process of removing moss from your roof.
- You can use plastic sheeting to cover plants and flooring to prevent dirt and debris going everywhere.
- Position the ladder in the safest area, then safely make your way to the roof and spray a small section with your hose or pressure washer.
- You can then brush away as much of this layer of moss from your roof tiles as you can.
- Once you have removed as much moss as possible, you will want to use your chosen cleaning solution to remove and prevent moss from growing back quickly you have completed the job. Chlorine bleach is effective at doing this job.
- This should be allowed to soak for around half an hour before being rinsed off by hose or pressure washer.
- Repeat this process working your way round the rest of your roof in small sections to clean moss thoroughly.
It is important to remember…
When using a pressure washer to clean your roof, you should bear in mind the power that this carries. Pressure washing your roof could cause some roofing materials to become dislodged. If you have roof shingles or loose tiles, this could cause damage that will likely require repairs and replacements.
If you do not have the necessary equipment to carry out moss removal and roof cleaning or would prefer an expert to provide a comprehensive job, you can count on us. Our team at Roof Rescue are roof repair and maintenance specialists. We are able to repair and replace any damaged tiles and carry out a deep clean to remove any moss growing on your roof, helping it look its best once again. If you would like to find out more about our roofing services, give our team a call today on 020 3189 1618 or email to get started with us.